Dr. Bowser is an allergist near Havertown, Ardmore, and other Main Line areas. She is Board Certified in Adult and Pediatric Allergy and Immunology and in Pediatrics. She has been treating patients of all ages with allergies, asthma, and immunologic conditions in Pennsylvania and New Jersey since 2006.
She has published articles in medical journals (citations below), lead workshops, and has presented research in a variety of national and international venues, from the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) to the World Allergy Congress (WAC). She has been interviewed for newspaper and radio on many allergy related topics, and is a member of the Complementary Alternative Medicine Committee of the AAAAI.
Dr. Bowser has given multiple lectures to local hospital staff, and participates in community education events as well as in national allergy society meetings. She is on the Board of Regents of the Pennsylvania Allergy & Asthma Association.
Originally from Germany, Dr. Bowser received her medical degree in 1998 from Ludwig-Maximilians University in Munich, and completed her doctorate dissertation on the influence of hormones on the nasal mucosa in 1999 (citation below).
After completing a 2-year pediatric residency, she was an Intern, Resident and Chief Resident at the State University of New York (SUNY) Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY from 2000-2004. She was elected chief resident. Dr. Bowser supervised residents and medical students, and managed the Intensive Care Unit and emergency transport team.
She completed her fellowship in Adult and Pediatric Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in 2006.
Dr. Bowser is fluent in English, German and French, and speaks some Spanish. She is Board Certified in Pediatrics and Adult and Pediatric Allergy, Asthma, and Clinical Immunology.
- CS Bowser, S Kumar, L Salciccioli, A Kutlin, J Lazar, I Rahim, A. Suss, S Kohlhoff, MR. Hammerschlag, J Moallem: Absence of Chlamydia pneumoniae and signs of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in adolescents with systemic lupus erythematosus. Pediatric Cardiology 2008;29(3).
- CS Bowser, J Kaye, RO Joks, C Charlot, HJ Moallem: IgE and Atopy in perinatally HIV- infected children Pediatric Allergy and Immunology 2007;18(4): 298-303
- CS Bowser, J Kaye, TU Leier, V Chorney, R Nathawad, N Chernichenko, A Shin, B Pragaspathy, HJ Moallem: Prevalence of viral and mycobacterial co-infections in perinatally HIV-infected children. Fetal and Pediatric Pathology 2006; 25(6): 321-31
- C Bowser, A Riederer: [Immunohistochemical detection of progesterone receptors in fibroblasts of the nose] Laryngo-Rhino-Otol 2001;80:182-186 Bowser C, Erstein DP, Silverberg JI, Nowakowski M, Joks R. Correlation of plasma complement split product levels with allergic respiratory disease activity and relation to allergen immunotherapy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2010;104:42-49.
- Thesis (completed 7/15/99): Immunohistochemical and EIA detection of progesterone and estrogen receptors in the lower nasal turbinate of women with respect of the localization of mast cells and history of allergies and diseases. Presentation of Thesis Results at the 1998 International Symposium on Infection and Allergy of the Nose, Vienna, Austria.
- Recurrent bronchospasm and urticaria associated with Mycoplasma pneumoniae in a 4 year old boy. Poster presentation at the ACAAI meeting 2003 in New Orleans: C. Bowser, N. Mathur, H.J. Moallem.
- Primary ovarian failure and positive ANA in two 17-year-old girls with and without clinical features of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Poster presentation at the ACAAI meeting 2004 in Boston. CS Bowser, MB Castro, N Mathur, O Muneyyirci-Delale, HJ Moallem.
- Inverse Relationship of Plasma C5a Level to Allergic Disease Activity in Pediatric but not Adult Populations. Poster Presentation at the AAAAI meeting 2005 in San Antonio: C. Charlot, C. Bowser, M. Castro, N. Mathur, O.Asimolowo, H. Drew, F. Hajee, SM Chice, M. Rao, M. Nowakowski, R. Joks.
- Prevalence of Herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection in children with perinatally acquired HIV infection. Oral presentation at the World Allergy Congress 2005 in Munich, Germany (Travel Grant recipient): Bowser C, Kaye, J, Chernichenko, Nathawad R, Shin A, Pragaspathy B, Moallem HJ.
- Simultaneous occurrence of Diabetes mellitus and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in 3 adolescent girlse Poster Presentation at the ACAAI meeting 2005 in Anaheim, C. Bowser, C Charlot, JB Quintos, S Castells, HJ Moallem.
- IgE and atopy in perinatally HIV infected children. Poster Presentation at the AAAAI meeting 2006 in Miami Beach. C. Bowser, J. Kaye, C. Charlot, R. Joks, HJ Moallem.
- Chronic granulomatous disease in a 58-year-old man. Poster presentation at the ACAAI meeting 2006 in Philadelphia. H. Ezmailzadeh, C. Bowser, C, Charlot, HJ Moallem.
- Concordance rates of allergen sensitization amongst family members at an inner city asthma center. Poster presentation at the AAAAI meeting 2007 in San Diego. F. Hajee, H. Solomon, M. Castro, C. Bowser, M. Rao, R. Joks.
Lectures and community outreach
- Workshop Leader for “Fiberoptic rhinolaryngoscopy in the diagnosis of LPR and VCD at the AAAAI meeting 2012 in Orlando
- Instructor at the “Rhinolaryngoscopy: Hands-on” workshop AAAAI annual meeting 2009
- Lecture series for primary care pediatricians (CME) of the Main Line Health system. Topic: Food allergies 3/2007
- Medical Grand Rounds (CME) at Delaware County Memorial Hospital. Topic:
- 1) Anaphylaxis and common misconceptions in Allergy, 9/2007, and 10/2008
- 2) Spring allergies and Exercise induced asthma, 5/2008
- Medical Grand Rounds (CME) at Taylor Hospital,
- Topic: Anaphylaxis and common misconceptions in Allergy, 9/2007
- Pediatric Grand Rounds (CME) at Riddle Memorial Hospital
- 8/2008: Food allergies
- Resident lecture series for FP residents at Crozer Chester MC
- Topic: Asthma 8/2007
- Immunodeficiency: diagnostic work up 5/2009
- Resident lectures for OB/GYN at Crozer Chester: Allergic Rhinitis 2009, Anaphylaxis 2010
- Lecture series for pediatric and medicine residents and medical students at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Topics: Urticaria and angioedema, Primary and secondary prevention of allergies, Overview of immunodeficiency, Food allergy, Anaphylaxis 2004-2009
- Lecture series for incoming Fellows in Allergy and Immunology at SUNY Downstate and LICH 2008 and 2009: Immunotherapy
- “Women’s Health Month Seminar Series” at Riddle Memorial Hospital, Media, PA
- Topic: “How to stop the growth of Allergies” 10/2006
- “Allergic disease in times of hormonal changes and pregnancy” 10/2007
- “Allergies. How to live with them and how to avoid them” 10/2008
- ARC grant for community health fair at Riddle Memorial Hospital on asthma and allergy education 1/ 2007
- Founder of the Pediatric Lupus support group of Brooklyn, NY
- Lecture for ER residency program at Cooper University Hospital on “Urticaria and Angioedema” February 2012
Medical writing experience
For Dermatology Times:
- Sulfasalazine and Dapsone: Good Alternative Options for Treatment of Chronic Urticaria (News coverage of the ACAAI meeting in Philadelphia, PA)
For Doctors Guide, News coverage of the ACAAI meeting in Philadelphia, PA:
- Half-Day Rapid Desensitization Regimen Appears Safe and Effective
- Four-Injection Vaccine May Provide Ragweed Allergy Symptom Relief
- Combination of Azelastine and Fluticasone Improves Symptom Relief in Patients With Allergy to Texas Mountain Cedar
- Once-Daily Ciclesonide Nasal Spray Effective and Safe in Seasonal and Perennial Allergic Rhinitis
- Sublingual Immunotherapy May Provide Protection From Poison Ivy Dermatitis
- New Antihistamine Nasal Spray Safe, with Less Incidence of Bad/Bitter Taste Versus Azelastine
- Omalizumab May Be Treatment Alternative for Patients With Atopic Dermatitis
- Intranasal Corticosteroids for Allergic Rhinitis May Not Affect Growth in Children